Time to re-think the daily stand-up!
The daily stand-up probably the most famous ceremony in Scrum! All that's required to be Agile! Well in some companies anyway!
I've been Scrum Master to some fantastic daily standup's or scrums but to be honest I've also been Scrum Master to some fairly dreary and uninspiring ones!
And I'm going to say it... The format is just plain wrong!! I don't like the three questions!
1. What did I do yesterday (Towards the sprint goal in the updated version)
2. What am I going to do today (Towards the sprint goal in the updated version)
3. Blockers/Impediments
So what's the problem with this? Well it makes the stand-up little more than a status report meeting! I don't really care about hearing what people did yesterday! It's on the task board.. I can see what people are working on and what they worked on yesterday.. And so can everybody else... Doubly so if your task board is an information radiator! (Physical board)
I probably don't like the 'I' I'd prefer a what are 'we' going to do to meet the sprint goal!!
The daily standup is a planning meeting for the team to plan the day... Not a status report or a check on who's not really working!
The Scrum Master
